Argo UML and LinuxPPC

Randall R Schulz rrschulz at cris.com
Wed Oct 13 06:13:41 EST 1999

Ian,

Well, I've gone through the installation and configuration exercise
for ArgoUML, version 0.70. Fortunately, I had the same problem as
you. Fortunately? Yes, since had I not, I wouldn't have searched for
the solution...

If you're experiencing the same problem as I had, the symptom being a
complaint about not being able to load ...MetalLookAndFeel.class,
then the problem is that your display is in a color mode not
supported by the current Java and / or XF86 server and / or display
driver. In my case, the driver is Anthony Tong's ATI Rage Pro driver
("video=aty128fb") in 32 bit-per-pixel mode. Setting the display to 8
bits allowed ArgoUML to start up fine (even though it made a lot of
other things ugly--it also made everything faster, of course).

Search the LinuxPPC-User archives for specifics of the problem and
solutions or workarounds. The following statement appears on
<http://khendricks.ivey.uwo.ca/linuxppc/jdk/main.html>, where the
LinuxPPC JDKs are made available:

* The current XF68_FBDev Xserver is inconsistent when specifying
bits-per-pixel, color depth, and color masks. This causes a problem
running JDK 1.2.X with jfc (swing) classes. A fix is available in the
form of a source code patch for XF68_FBDev and/or a precompiled
XF68_FBDev replacement (which needs a revised XF86Config file to
correctly specify color depths. See the following archive to get the
required downloads.

I hope this helps.

RandyS