What's up with gcc 2.95.1 and "__va_arg_type_violation"

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at drgw.net
Tue Oct 12 13:54:40 EST 1999

Kevin Hendricks wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When attempting to run the latest build of the jdk, I get the following error
> message (but only on non-debug builds).
>
> Unsatisfied Link error: __va_arg_type_violation
>
> Figuring, I simply forgot some new piece of glibc 2.1.2, I used
>
> nm -o `find /lib -name "*"` | grep va_arg_type
>
> (for /lib, /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, /opt/lib, etc)
>
> and this damn routine simply does not exist on my machine.

Actually, this generally means you are attempting to pass a 'char' through
a va_args function. This is a "bad thing" since the char silently gets
converted to an integer, and the compiler can't type check it. I would like
for any character (or I think short int also) arguments to va_arg functions
and explicitly typecast them to a 32 bit value type in the function call.

Franz Sirl would be the guy to ask if you want to know the actually reasons
and full technical details for this.

| Troy Benjegerdes    |  troy at blacklablinux.com    |    hozer at drgw.net   |
|    Unix is user friendly... You just have to be friendly to it first.  |
| This message composed with 100% free software.    http://www.gnu.org   |