esound for PPC

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Mon Oct 4 07:46:43 EST 1999

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Tom Rini wrote:

> > It appears you're right. All the sounds that have trouble playing are 16bit
> > 44kHz wavs. The weird thing is that if I start esd and use esdplay, all the
> > sounds play properly. However the 16bit sounds don't appear to be going
> > through esd because I don't get my prompt back until the sound is done
> > playing, while the 8bit sounds are played asynchronously.

This may just be because the 16bit sound files are bigger...

> What happens is either audiofile or esound is doing byte swapping it
> doesn't need to.

I think I heard somewhere that the PPC /dev/dsp uses little endian format,
while Sparc uses its native (big) endianness.

If someone could give me a table of what endianness the sound devices on
various platforms expect, I could make an esound-0.2.15 that fixes it
(after having you all test it :).

-- Elliot					http://developer.gnome.org/
The first thing a programmer needs to admit is that any program is by far
more complex than his own mind. Thats why he partitions it into neat
pieces and avoids complexity.