Building Question

Geoff Hutchison ghutchis at wso.williams.edu
Mon Nov 29 12:01:54 EST 1999

At 11:46 AM +0100 11/19/99, Gabriel Paubert wrote:
>Anyway, this probably means that the application has a lot initialized
>data (a few big arrays with some elements statically initialized could
>cause it but it's a wild guess). The resulting executable will be huge in
>any case (objdump --head will tell you how much you would have saved by
>looking at the size of the plt).

Thanks for your help. Fortunately it turned out to be much simpler. I
saw someone suggest upgrading to a newer binutils for a similar
problem and it helped. I'm now using the latest binutils RPM and
don't seem to have any problems.

You are right that it has a lot of initialized data. It has one
"defaults.cc" file with a large amount of static defaults. We'll
probably discuss whether it's better to keep this or have a default
config file load in before the user's config file.

Thanks to everyone for their help!
Cheers,

-Geoff Hutchison
Williams Students Online