tv tuner/video

Francois.CAU at st.com Francois.CAU at st.com
Tue Nov 23 23:45:34 EST 1999

> 1. What is the state of tv card support on LinuxPPC? I've searched the
> linuxppc-dev logs and seen some announcements of bt848 support.

The bttv driver (driver for bt848 based cards) is working on LinuxPPC.

> 2. The bt848 cards I've seen seems to offer v. limited real-time continuous
> capture (320 x240 == 1/4 NTSC); I don't know if this is a limitation of the
> chipset or the cards. I'm looking for full streaming PAL capture to memory.
> Is this beyond the bandwidth of PCI? If so, is it usual for cards that
> offer this to do hardware compression first?

The PCI bandwidth is large enough for video. TV applications like xawtv
have 2 modes:
- Overlay, where the TV card is PCI-bus-master and directly writes in the
video memory.
- Grabbing, where the application grabs each picture, and then displays it
on the screen. You can even process the pictures before displaying them.

The bottle-neck for continuous capture of un-compressed, full-size video
comes from the hard-disk.

Francois