Extreme swapping / new location of Paul's kernels [was Re: Kernel debugging??]

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Fri Nov 19 11:51:38 EST 1999

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 1999,  <phandel at cise.ufl.edu> wrote:
>
> >I've noticed the same extreme swapping in 2.3.26, using SCSI disks
> >(PowerCenter Pro 210) and BootX.  Returning to my previous kernel, there
> >was no swapping. This was using BootX 1.2b1.
>
> And I have absolutely no idea about what in BootX can cause this. Could
> you check if the amount of available RAM seen by the kenrel is correct ?

Comparing boot messages from booting with "good" and "bad" versions of
BootX, I saw that the amount of RAM is OK in both cases, but then I
found one quite incredible thing, and this is essentially the only
difference in the boot messages. Booting with BootX version <= 1.1.3 and
any kernel, I get as usual

   kernel: Calibrating delay loop... 133.12 BogoMIPS

Booting with BootX-1.2b2, I get with the same kernels

   kernel: Calibrating delay loop... 11.39 BogoMIPS

This is repeatable, but for me quite incomprehensible.

--
Martin