Linux 2.2.13 on an original PowerStack-I

Michael Meissner meissner at cygnus.com
Mon Nov 15 13:31:26 EST 1999

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 12:42:25AM -0500, Michael Meissner wrote:

> I have an original PowerStack-I (66 Mhz 603 with no cache) that has
> been sitting idle since about January, and I thought I would turn it
> into a web server.  I did the usual boot with my carefully preserved
> FD_SETUP, base tools, build tools, FD_BOOT diskettes, and set up a R4
> system, and tried to boot with the 2.2.13 kernel I'm running on my
> PowerStack-II (a 'UTAH' 200 Mhz 604e, 512K Cache).  It seemed to fail
> miserably looking for hda/hdb.  Is there a known patch to make the
> older PowerStack-I boot?  I vaguelly recall having this problem except
> reversed in the January time frame (standard kernel would boot on the
> older machine but not boot on the newer machine, but there was a patch
> available to make it boot on the new machine which broke the old
> machine -- evidently that patch went into the tree).  Ideally, I could
> run the same kernel on both machines, but I could live with different
> kernels.

Just in case anybody else has the same problem, I figured out what my problem
is -- I forgot to compile in the NCR53C8XX driver.  I compiled in the SYM53C8XX
driver on the 604e, but the 603 only has a 53c810 onboard.  Whoops.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886