OffTopic: Is the PowerBook 145d anygood?

Doomsday Machine pogtal at erols.com
Wed Nov 10 15:28:41 EST 1999

"David A. Gatwood" wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Doomsday Machine wrote:
>
> > Well, besides it being completely off topic, the 145b is seriously
> > outdated.  It's fine for wordprocessing (I guess) but not much else.  I
> > guess if you really wanted to, you could probably load mklinux on it,
>
> Umm... MkLinux only works on PPC machines.  That's a 68k.  Can run NetBSD,
> though.

Didn't they have a version of mklinux for 68k?  Or maybe that was a link to
the linux/68k project...oh well, it's been a while since I ran mklinux on my
8500 :)

> > but that would be some work, cause it doesn't have a cdrom, and I don't
> > know if it can get ethernet hookups.
>
> Not unless you happen to find one of the old Cabletron Ethernet to SCSI
> adapters.  Asante's aren't supported under *BSD for usual corporate
> reasons.

Yeah.  I suppose if you purchased the 145b, you could take out a serial port,
hardwire an ethernet port to it, write your own drivers...;-)

--Nelson Abramson

--
"Switch on any television channel and you have entered immediately
the world of demigods and hungry ghosts."