CDROM Problems with 2.2.9

Kevin Hendrickson hndrcksn at net178019.hcv.com
Tue May 25 03:37:04 EST 1999

On Sat, 15 May 1999, Kevin Hendrickson wrote:

> On Fri, 14 May 1999, roboj wrote:
>

> > After compiling the recent linux kernel (2.2.9), I've been getting an error
> > message which I have included below.  I get it at boot time and it continues
> > printing in an infinite loop.  Also, the computer seems to be trying to access
> > my cd-rom drive (Toshiba scsi, /dev/scd0 linked to /dev/cdrom). Running power
> > computing powerbase.  Anyone ever got a similar error message that can offer
> > any suggestions?  Everything works ok in linux vers. 2.2.6-ac3.
>
> I get something similar on my S900 dual 180Mhz machine with a Matshita CD.
> It seems more likely to happen when I'm cold booting up my machine, but
> can also happen after launching from BootX in the Finder. I noticed it
> after I moved to the 2.2.6 kernels (I'm currently using 2.2.6-15apmac.)
> Sometimes I have to reboot several times in a row before it gets past the
> CD which is target 3 on my internal SCSI bus (MESH)

I just noticed this morning that I cannot mount anything in this CD drive.
I have a CD-R drive at target 5 on my external SCSI bus that can mount CDs
fine, but the CD drive mentioned above gives I/O errors and can lock up
the machine if I try to mount it or run od on it too many times. I don't
know whether this happened with earlier 2.2.x kernels because I haven't
had to mount anything in a while. This CD drive mounted fine under the
2.1.x kernels.

Kevin Hendrickson