Mac-on-linux is now working...

Samuel Rydh samuel at ibrium.se
Wed May 12 06:53:54 EST 1999

On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 09:50:12AM +0200, Jens Ch. Restemeier wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I'm currently downloading the source. Do you have any suggestions for
> starting 603 support? What are the differences that need to be fixed?
>
> Jens

I think it is only the MMU code which needs to be fixed.
All processors except the 603 uses a TLB hash table for
page table entries. Mac-on-linux accesses this table
directly in a few places.

If the line

  #define NO_RELOAD_HTAB 1

is changed to

  #define NO_RELOAD_HTAB 0

in 'arch/ppc/kernel/head.S' and 'arch/ppc/mm/init.c',
then the kernel emulates a TLB hash table. Possibly
this will do the trick. (I would also suggest careful
examination of the register contents for the faked
"DSI/ISI" exception).

Some more modifications are necessary if one want
the 603 to behave as a 603 (and not as a 604).
I can't see why one should want that though.

/Samuel