$OSTYPE

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Mon May 10 05:27:08 EST 1999

>On Sun, 9 May 1999, Tom Rini wrote:
>> Mostly applied :) (AMD and cyrix get labeled intel it looks like, so the
>> non-apple pmacs and other ppcs can be called apple, unless someone has a
>> better idea)
>
>I guess the intel-label of the AMD and Cyrix processors kind of resembles
>intel-compatibility or somthing like that...
>So labeling all ppc-machines apple might not be such
>a great idea, since it is not Apple alone who's behind the ppc..
>
>How about labeling it aim? (Apple IBM Motorola)
>However, that might be a bit confusing for those who doesn't know what it
>mean...
>
>Just my suggestion though.
>
>Regards,
>
>Erik

Hmmm AOL instant messenger?

So quick aside, does anybody know if excessive network collisions are likely
a problem of a poor kernel/module compile, or just my hardware.  I know this
isn't too related, but my Linksys 10/100 21140 Tulip is used correctly by 98
and NT, detected and ifconfiged right by Linux, even supported on their
website... it is the PNIC chipset, but when I try to talk to the internet
through the mac on linux, I notice that it can't, and I get a collision and
sequestering of the line every two seconds on my Linksys 8 port 10/100 hub,
then it resets.   Collide reset collide reset etc.
and telnet never gets through nor does ping.  I am using caldera 1.3 and
kernel 2.0.35.

Any ideas?

Andrew