MVME 2306 almost up and running

Michael Lundkvist ml at epact.se
Mon Mar 22 22:06:13 EST 1999

David De Ridder <s970707 at uia.ua.ac.be> writes:

> - In the server's /var/adm/messages, I also get (I stripped the dates) :
>   ``elpc6 mountd[67]: NFS mount of /export attempted from 143.169.5.29
>     elpc6 mountd[67]: /export has been mounted by 143.169.5.29''
>
>    If my /etc/exports is incorrect, I get the expected messages in syslog.
>    But this is not the case now, since the board is valid client.
>  - However, then, after initializing the serial console (I think), the
>    board says :
>    ``Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.''
>
> So, I'm stuck. FTR, I tried using the init= option, e.g. ``init=/bin/sh''.
> The relevant line in my /etc/exports is :
>
> ``/export/        elvme1.uia.ac.be(rw,no_root_squash,insecure)''
>
> The insecure option is AFAIK not necessary, and initially I left it out.
> I've also tried ``nfsroot=/export'', but with no effect.
>
> One other thing : I've tried exporting the same filesystem (/export/) to
> DECstation 3100. Something strange goes on : I export it rw, when I mount
> it, the DEC recognizes it as rw, but I only have ro access ! I can
> browse directories, read files, but NOT create files or change their
> timestamp.  Maybe this is a DEC problem (it's pretty old), or caused by
> the reason I don't know.
>
> Any help is appreciated,

Could it be a problem with library versions? Both /bin/sh and
/sbin/init are dynamically linked against libc and I remeber having
problems when I accidently used a libc from R5 with a binary from R4.

Here is the versions I run now:

[root at tss236 /root]# rpm -q SysVinit-2.76-2 glibc
SysVinit-2.76-2
glibc-2.1-1a

/Micke

--