anon-CVS: HOW?

nathan ingersoll ningerso at d.umn.edu
Wed Mar 17 16:03:55 EST 1999

Sure, the directions on the web page for the cvs server seem to be
incorrect, so I could see why you'd have problems.

First, take a look at the web site:

	http://cvs.on.openprojects.net

The basic instructions are listed there. For those who don't want to look
they basically go like this:

	1.) export CVSROOT=':pserver:anonymous at cvs.on.openprojects.net:/cvs/linux'

	2.) cvs login

		Just hit return for a password.

	3.) cvs -z3 checkout linux

		The web page says "kernel" instead of "linux", but that
		didn't work for me and I remembered that vger used linux.
		The "-z3" isn't necessary, but it speeds up transfer.

That should set up a directory in your current directory called linux and
will begin to download the source.
To update cd to the directory and type:

	cvs update -d

I think that should do it. Anyone else feel free to correct anything I may
have missed or didn't explain clearly.

Nathan