XF68 problem

Matt McLean keys at yikes.com
Sun Mar 14 18:49:25 EST 1999

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Sean Harding wrote:

> This evening I decided to take the plunge and try XF68-fbdev on my
> machine. I have a PowerCenter 150 (Platinum video) running a mish-mosh of
> LinuxPPC which no longer can really be associated with a complete release.
> The kernel is 2.1.130 at the moment.
>
> I'm getting a seg fault when I try to run the X server. Here's what strace
> has to say about it:
>
> execve("/usr/X11/bin/XF68", ["/usr/X11/bin/XF68"], [/* 33 vars */]) = 0
> brk(0)                                  = 0x1aa02cc
> open("/etc/ld.so.preload", O_RDONLY)    = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) ---
> +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

This is the strace output, but that's only for syscalls. You'll need to
debug it with GDB instead.

> I indeed don't have an /etc/ld.so.preload, and I'm not entireley sure what
> that file should contain. I'm also not clear on why the absence of that
> file is causing the X server to seg fault....

It's not dying because of that open() it's just dying in between it and
the next system call.

> Any ideas?

It's hard to say without seeing the backtrace, but I bet upgrading to the
latest glibc and X rpms will fix this... also, which linuxppc release? 4
or 5?

-matt