No-IDE kernel compile link errors

Tom Rini tmrini at ntplx.net
Wed Mar 10 01:05:02 EST 1999

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Hollis R Blanchard wrote:

> When I rerun 'make menuconfig', I find that the IDE stuff has been re-enabled
> on me. My other changes were saved, though. Examining the .config file, I find
> that CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_PMAC and CONFIG_PARIDE_PARPORT are both set to y.

The CONFIG_PARIDE_PARPORT is just a "test" variable, it doesn't turn
on/off anything in the code, just when the config stuff is going on.  From
what I remember of drivers/block/Config.in, that's prolly a good thing
that it's set.

> On a related note, I've always wondered who maintains the Makefiles for the
> kernel. Is it communal, and if so, are patches to the Makefiles submitted just
> like source patches?

It sounds like you accidently set the CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE to Y in the
arch-spec area (where early BootX Text and TotalImpact card support is).
This ugliiness is fixed by one of the ide patches in the patches dfir on
nmt.

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://dobbstown.yeti.edu/