Problem with egcs and denormalized constants?

Randy Gobbel gobbel at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 5 13:42:14 EST 1999

David Edelsohn wrote:

> Randy> P.S.: I just said the flMin problem was an egcs bug.  It's actually an
> Randy> asm bug, because the constant is correct in the .s file:
>
> Randy> .LC8:
> Randy> .float 0d1.40129846432481707092e-45
>
>         If I understand correctly, the bug actually is in glibc.  I
> presume that the GNU assembler is not receiving the correct value when it
> calls upon glibc to parse the constant for it to emit into the object
> file.

I've been poking around in binutils a bit, and it looks to me like the
badness is actually in gas.  Somewhere in expr.c is my current best
guess.  As far as I can tell, gas doesn't actually call glibc to
translate numbers, it has its own hairy platform-independent stuff for
that.

-Randy
--
http://www.cnbc.cmu.edu/~gobbel/
PGP fingerprint: 32 8A E8 24 A1 46 26 BC  F9 9D 0E B6 81 A9 02 0C

NOTICE: I DO NOT ACCEPT UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL EMAIL MESSAGES OF ANY
KIND.