2.2.2 compilation errors

Michel Lanners mlan at cpu.lu
Mon Mar 1 07:49:19 EST 1999

Hi there,

On  26 Feb, this message from Martin Costabel echoed through cyberspace:
[concerning compile poblems with 2.2.2 re semaphores]
> 1) Downgrade. Take the 2 files kernel/ksyms.c and kernel/sched.c from a
> previous version. For your convenience, I have put them on my site
> http://www.maths.univ-rennes1.fr/~costabel/linux/boot/
>
> 2) Upgrade. Take the 2 files include/asm-ppc/semaphore.h and
> include/asm-ppc/semaphore-helper.h from the cvs tree at samba.anu.edu.au
> (or take the whole tree; it contains many other bug fixes). On my Web
> site, I have a file kernel222-samba.diff that patches these 2 files. It
> is only 5kB, so this is the simplest way to go.

Hmmm... for me, this is not enough.

I get errors in drivers/scsi/scsi_error.c like this:

scsi_error.c: In function `scsi_error_handler':
scsi_error.c:1975: structure has no member named `owner'

The structure it complains about is struct semaphore, as defined in
include/asm/semaphore.h

Now, for PPC, we have a different (simpler) definition of struct
semaphore, lacking some of the members that i386 has. Obviously, these
members are referenced in drivers/scsi/scsi_error.c.

Any hints?

A quick look at your patch file will show it contains the same simpler
definition of struct semaphore.

Thanks

Michel