sym53c8xx timeouts and aborts... egcs-1.1.2e problem??

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at drgw.net
Mon Jun 28 10:46:49 EST 1999

I have a Motorola MTX board, which I just tried to upgrade the kernel to
2.2.10 on.

I built the kernel on a PowerMac G3 which had
binutils-2.9.1.0.990418-1c, egcs-1.1.2-12e, and glibc-2.1.1-6h installed.

When the sym53c driver loaded, it scanned the bus, and then proceeded to
go into an infinite loop of timeouts and aborts.

This occurs with the sym53c8xx and ncr53c8xx drivers on 2.2.10, *and* on
the same 2.2.3 based kernel sources I had previously been using
successfully on this machine.

The only thing that has I can think of that has changed is that the latest
kernels have been compiled with the new egcs.

Can anyone give me a success or failure report on an ncr/sym53c8xx board
on a kernel compiled with egcs-1.1.2-12e?

Thanks.