Xbh not working (Cirrus X server)

Jeff Rugen jrugen at primenet.com
Wed Jun 23 16:09:02 EST 1999

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Michael Engel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing a problem with Xbh on the Motorola PowerStack Series E
> and PowerStack II here. Xbh crashes with segmentation fault shortly after
> starting the server, gdb shows that the server is crashing in
> gd54xx_memsize
> (in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/bh/gd54xx.c). I built XFree from source
> (rpm --rebuild) with the same result. When setting a fixed memsize of 2 MB
> in gd54xx_memsize, the server crashes in outb() in
> gd54xx_setcolor

Ok, I wrote the reply below before I remembered the first important
question:

Are you starting Xbh with the -mmap option?  If you're using 2.2.x or later,
you have to have that option selected, and it might not be default:

startx -- -mmap

If that doesn't work, read on. :-)

------------------

I might be the de-facto maintainer for Xbh right now (I'm the latest person
I know to play with it much).  A couple questions:

1) How much video memory does your graphics chip have (it sounds like 2 MB
with you setting a fixed memsize).
2) What version of Linux are you running.
3) Is your Series E one in a black case, or is it a standard PC
tower/desktop model (I can't remember if my motherboard is considered the
series E, but its a standard PC tower with 2MB video memory -- I'm using
various 2.2.x and 2.3.x kernels, though Xbh mainly with an older 2.2.x
kernel).

Which version of glibc do you have?  (Are you a R5 or pre-R5 distribution,
with the newer glibc, or an older R4+ with glibc 1.99?)

If you're running R5 (glibc of 2.1 or something like that), is it convenient
for you to download the Xbh I have compiled at
ftp://linuxppc.cs.nmt.edu/pub/linuxppc/patches/Xbh-16bit-glibc2x

If you have R4, you could download my updates to the Xbh source from the
same directory and try rebuilding as well, though I can't think of any
changes I made which would affect that -- however, a full gdb output using
that source may be easier for me to deal with, since it represents the
current source that I look at occasionally.

Jeff Rugen                      jrugen at primenet.com

...Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror, and you
would not have been informed.