R5 X setup on B/W G3; OF Setup; USB mouse support

Tom Rini tmrini at ntplx.net
Wed Jun 23 01:23:19 EST 1999

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, satadru pramanik wrote:

> After extensively browsing the list archives, and various man pages, i
> have been unable to come to an understanding as to how I should change the
> resolution in X unless I reboot into MacOS, change resolutions, and reboot
> back into Linux.   Is this true?   fbset refuses to change resolutions
> at the console.

For the Blue&White this is true right now.

> Secondly, I'm using the 2.2.10 kernel sources posted earlier with the USB
> support, and they work fantastically, letting me use the USB keyboard on
> the B/W G3, but the mouse refuses to work inside X...   How do I configure
> X to use the USB mouse, instead of having to hook up a ADB mouse?

It was in the bottom of the mail Paul M sent out..

> Finally, I have been using OF to boot a 7600/132 successfully all the way
> through to 2.2.7.   I'm hearing that the MacOS boot mechanism through
> BootX may cause certain problems, such as the total lack of sound I have
> right now.  I understand that certain coff headers aren't being
> generated correctly for the OF 3.0+ revisions, is this an issue if I have
> already installed Linux on the internal IDE hard disk?   I have messed
> around in OF on the B/W G3 just like I did on the 7600, and as far as I
> can tell, a boot-device setting for the 6th partition on the internal IDE
> disk should be this (looking at the system-disk control panel output):
> /pci at 80000000/pci-bridge at d/pci-ata at 1/ata-4 at 0/@0:4

Basically OF on the new machines (imac, Blue&White, Lombard) is very
different from what we had working before.  You're currently stuck with
BootX.  But, if you use the boot extention to start up Linux, you can have
sound again.

---
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/