dl-load.c (ld.so) bug??

Hollis R Blanchard hollis+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jun 22 12:48:12 EST 1999

> No. Electric Fence is designed to catch programming errors, such as
> attempting to access memory which was not 'malloc'ed. I have traced this
> down extensively a couple of months ago, and found that it does indeed
> appear to overrun what it malloced.

I have two even simpler test cases for you:

int main(void){
    char *ptr=NULL;
    free(ptr);
}

and

int main(void){
    char *ptr = (char *)malloc(100);
}

Both of these work fine (or at least *appear* to work fine) without Electric
Fence.

> In normal operation, if I am correct, the ld.so code is just silently
> overwriting some other data.

If this were the case, wouldn't you expect ridiculous levels of instability?

-Hollis