MPC8xx: Bad emulation

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.muc.de
Mon Jun 14 15:16:21 EST 1999

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, Michael R. Zucca wrote:

> I'm surprised. I thought we were already doing this.  This sort of thing

So thought I; but the existing solution is far from being complete.

> has been done forever on the 68k to emulate the 68881/2 FPU. It's slow but
> if you don't plan on doing much floating point, it's perfectly acceptable.

Agreed.

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Kolbjørn Barmen wrote:

> It was working sometimes on some old 1.2.x kernels and perhaps older, it hasnt
> been working since afaik, and hasnt been much of an issue until recently on
> old macs, as most of atari and amiga owners has gotten ourselves 68881/2 chips
> in the meantime.

It is perfectly understandable that there is  no  much  interest  for
this on the workstation class of Linux boxen. But especially with the
PPC port and Embedded Controllers like the Motorola MPC8xx or the IBM
401x2  I  se  a  good chance for Linux entering the world of embedded
(and realtime) systems. This opens a whole new set of requirements.

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
It is impractical for  the  standard  to  attempt  to  constrain  the
behavior  of code that does not obey the constraints of the standard.
                                                          - Doug Gwyn