PReP boot options was Re: How to boot VME from HD?

Matt Porter mporter at phx.mcd.mot.com
Wed Jun 9 05:31:24 EST 1999

> check twice before typing the return key since the wrong digit in the of0
> parameter may make one of your partitions unusable (to solve this we would
> need a MILO like loader, but I had no time to work on this, although
> prepboot might be a good starting point).

This is something I've been looking at off and on.  I think the best route
is to take quik and combine it with features from the integrated
bootloader and your preploader.  The current situation makes it tough to
offer a PReP distribution that smoothly installs since one needs to
rebuild the bootloader and link with the kernel just to change the default
root device and kernel parameters. :-/

> I have also considered the
> possibility of booting from ROM (flash the kernel into the 4 or 8Mb of
> PROM present on these boards), but not implemented it.

I have working code for this that requires an updated PPCBUG revision.
A PPCBUG release with support for RBing PReP images should be available
"RSN", but it's hard to say since the firmware group is rather loaded
these days.

--
Matt Porter				Motorola Computer Group
mporter at mcg.mot.com			Real Time Software Support