compilation failure of 2.2 series cvs kernel sources

satadru pramanik satadru at umich.edu
Thu Jun 3 02:30:54 EST 1999

yes. I did upgrade glibc recently. ;-)

However, the symlink is still the same.   Do I need to change it?  And
wouldn't doing a cvs update change the scsi.h file "back"?  Or is that the
problem?

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Martin Costabel wrote:

Satadru Pramanik wrote:

> After getting the sources with "cvs update -dP -rlinux_2_2"
>  I use the enclosed file as my .config, and then run a "make vmlinux"  The
> only change I made was to line 455 of linux/net/ipv4/ip_options.c,
> deleting "kfree_skb(skb);"  to fix the DOS attack on the 2.2 series
> kernels recently found.
>
> Any output would be appreciated.  Thanks.  I have a egcs 1.1.2 system.
>
> here's the dying output of the compile:
> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall
> -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__powerpc__ -fsigned-char
> -msoft-float -pipe -fno-builtin -ffixed-r2 -Wno-uninitialized -mmultiple
> -mstring   -c -o scsi.o scsi.c
> scsi.c: In function `scan_scsis_single':
> scsi.c:768: `TYPE_ENCLOSURE' undeclared (first use in this function)

Just a wild guess: Did you upgrade your glibc-devel recently?

TYPE_ENCLOSURE is defined in /usr/src/linux/include/scsi/scsi.h.
Formerly, /usr/include/scsi/ was a symlink to
/usr/src/linux/include/scsi/. It is now owned by glibc which has its own
scsi.h file without this definition. It happened to me that upgrading
glibc overwrote the contents of /usr/src/linux/include/scsi, with
disastrous results. Why there is such a directory in glibc is beyond me;
these *are* kernel headers, after all.

--
Martin

----
satadru pramanik `satadru at umich.edu'
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit
with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S
relativity."
-Albert Einstein
---