Open Firmware booting on a Blue G3

Ethan Benson erbenson at alaska.net
Sat Jul 31 11:39:28 EST 1999

hello,

this discussion I started on LinuxPPC-users, and it has pretty much
been decided there that the problem with OF booting on Blue G3s lies
in proper OF support in quik and the kernel.  I am thus porting the
discussion here to see if we can get those items fixed, and figure
out exactly what needs to be done where.

summary of discussion that occurred on the users list:

At 19:54 -0700 27/7/99, Joel Klecker wrote:
>Apple is none of those things in this instance, Apple finally chose
>to adopt a sane standard for its OF, and Linux/pmac has fallen
>behind.
>OSes with properly CHRP-compliant kernel images (such as
>NetBSD/macppc) can be booted just fine from New World OF.

  puetzk6715 at uni.edu mentioned that OF has filesystem support, so quik
would not be needed and OF could be configured to boot the kernel
directly.  I responded that this approach would require a separate
ISO, HFS, HFS+, or FAT filesystem either in a /boot partition or the
entire root partition would have to be formatted in those formats.  I
mentioned that I do not like the idea of having to maintain non ext2
filesystems to support my kernel. I also mentioned the following
arguments for retaining and improving quik:

At 16:51 -0800 29/7/99, Ethan Benson wrote:
>I have been researching this issue for the last week and found this
>technote from Apple:
>
>http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1167.html  in particular
>they mention the need for a "bootfile" which is a file containing an
>OpenFirmware script to finish the bootstrap process, it can
>optionally contain additional data as well.  On Macos this file is
>the MacOSROM image, which contains the OpenFirmware script and the
>additional data is the actual ROM image for MacOS.
>
>so my slightly educated theory is that quik needs to have a
>OpenFirmware script in either its first or second level bootstraps
>to work with OF (probably first) and if booting kernel directly
>(only possible from ISO, thus not preferable from root filesystem)
>then the kernel image itself would probably have that OF header,
>which I am not sure could be done, so instead it would probably be a
>different file which has the additional code to load the kernel.

NetBSD have OF booting of there kernel (on iMac, which has nearly
identical boot ROM to blueG3) but only from the network, I suspect
(but have not confirmed) this is because they have no quik to deal
with their UFS filesystems, but do have the proper headers in place
so that OF accepts it.

comments?

Best Regards,
Ethan Benson