Trying a Promise Ultra/66 on powerpc

Martin Mares mj at ucw.cz
Wed Jul 28 18:07:47 EST 1999

Hello,

> (C) I needed to add a patch to automatically try setting PCI_COMMAND_IO
> if powerpc.  Without this the card would be marked as not supporting
> native mode, and not be initialized.  On x86 bios32.c takes care of
> bioses which do not set this.  Should something in the PPC PCI
> initialization be doing the same?

   Yes. Take a look at arch/i386/kernel/bios32.c, the pcibios_fixup_devices
function.

> On a related note, how do I find a memory region, not yet used, for
> remapping a PCI device's memory space? There is a bug with an onboard
> device on some Macs, in that it really decodes less address bits than
> it says it does, making it overlap other devices (which then need to be
> remapped). Right now, the driver uses the same region as in MacOS,
> without checking...

   The current resource management code doesn't support searching
for free regions, but I already have some patches for it, they only
need some more work.

				Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares   <mj at ucw.cz>   http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
"How an engineer writes a program: Start by debugging an empty file..."