Ideas on improving powercomputing keyboard

anthony tong atong at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 28 03:36:52 EST 1999

Jerry Quinn (Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 11:52:15AM -0400):
> Hi, all.  I'm finally annoyed enough by the 'a' chars generated by the caps
> lock key on power computing keyboards under X to try to fix it.  In the
> process, maybe it will be useful enough to actually swap it to be the control
> key (as any good keyboard should be :-).

Didn't a patch from Fred Bacon get into on of the DR2 updates to take
care of this? I forget how it worked around this problem, but I can
did it up if you can't find it.

> from the keys.  So the first question is - can I trust the output of showkeys?

Generally, yes, with showkeys -s

> What is RAW mode?  When is raw mode versus non-raw used and should the
> behavior I describe be any different in the two cases?  Does raw vs. non-raw
> explain why 'a's appear when pressing capslock in X but not at the console?

I think that we should figure out why it behaves properly at the
console first. I remember Paul M mentioning something about that but
I don't really recall the specifics.

On another note Franz Sirl mentioned that a capslock (with an apple
adjustable keyboard, I think) keypress generates extraneous capslock
up/down events in X.