Support for Mouse Systems A3 protocol mice

Benjamin Herrenschmidt bh40 at calva.net
Wed Jul 21 19:54:54 EST 1999

On Wed, Jul 21, 1999, skinny boeceifus <mudskinny at netscape.net> wrote:

>Your patch is working great for me, but I did have one complication with it,
>or mabey my own stupidity. I was thinking- yea I'll unplug my mac point pro
>and try my old one button to see if it would work. So I did it(without
>rebooting, thats where my stupor came in).. The pointer moved but I couldnt
>click any thing or type anything, So I had to hard reboot **, and got to the
>login screen(with the mac point pro pluged in) to find the keyboard still
>wouldn't work but the mouse did, and about that time my keyboard started
>smellin' like burnt board. luckily I managed to cut and paste my login and
>password to log in and reboot:) to make a long story shorter, I booted to
>macos, unplugged and replugged the keyboard, then rebooted. Now it works
>perfectly.. I thought this was pretty weird so thats why I write this.

If you hot-swap devices on the ADB bus, you need to reset and re-probe
it. I added code for that (used by Powerbook sleep code) and it can
theorically be triggered from userland by sending the ADB_RESET command
to /dev/adb. I never tested this however, you'll have to write a (simple)
command line tool for that.

I'll try to find some time this week or next week to gather all those
pending ADB patches, and upload the trackpad tool in a place that can be
reached easily. I also have some other tools that I should make available
once they are cleaned up like one for sending this reset command and
another for configuration various Microspeed mouse options. Stay tuned, I
think I'll be able to do that later this week or next week-end.

--
           Perso. e-mail: <mailto:bh40 at calva.net>
           Work   e-mail: <mailto:benh at mipsys.com>