Problem with compiling and linking separately

Ringeman, Tim tim_ringeman at gilbarco.com
Tue Jul 20 04:07:34 EST 1999

I am running the embedded-2.2.5 kernel on a MBX860 board and using
http://members.home.net/mmporter/binutils-powerpc-linux-2.9.1.0.15-2.i386.rp
http://members.home.net/mmporter/egcs-powerpc-linux-1.1.1-2.i386.rpm
ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/glibc/glibc-2.1.tar.gz
ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/glibc/glibc-linuxthreads-2.1.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/gnu/funet/glibc-crypt-2.1.tar.gz

When I try to compile and link seperately I get the following errors:

[root at ngdtst06 bin]# powerpc-linux-gcc -c hello.c

[root at ngdtst06 bin]# powerpc-linux-ld hello.o
powerpc-linux-ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to
01800074
hello.o: In function `main':
hello.o(.text+0x20): undefined reference to `printf'

[root at ngdtst06 bin]# powerpc-linux-ld hello.o -lc
powerpc-linux-ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to
01800188

[root at ngdtst06 bin]# powerpc-linux-ld hello.o -lc -static
powerpc-linux-ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to
01800188

When I link against the shared libraries as such:
[root at ngdtst06 bin]# powerpc-linux-ld hello.o -lc -shared
it links but when I try to run it on the board, it hangs.

Any idea how I could get this to work?

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Ringeman