research for a new booting mechanism

Benjamin Herrenschmidt bh40 at calva.net
Mon Jul 19 23:18:21 EST 1999

On Fri, Jul 16, 1999, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false.org> wrote:

>The question, it seems to me, is what sort of state the OS is in when
>this happens.  Is Open Firmware still mapped in, or does the Apple ROM
>unmap it?  It should be possible to use this in either case, although
>if it is unmapped, it would be more like running BootX (whose source I
>have not yet actually looked at).

Hum, the explanation looks stange. This boot mecanism is the "old" 68k
based mecanism, I don't really see how this could boot quik ppc code. I
beleive that using MacOS X System Disk just setup OF to boot quik, but I
don't think this is in any way related to those 68k stuffs.

I don't know if this boot-block mecanism is still supported, but it would
be interesting to try to put pieces of BootX there.

--
           Perso. e-mail: <mailto:bh40 at calva.net>
           Work   e-mail: <mailto:benh at mipsys.com>