Interesting Beige G3 Storage Stuff

Paul Mackerras paulus at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Jul 14 15:13:47 EST 1999

Joe Julicher <joe_julicher at macktrucks.com> wrote:

> IDE HD.  The drive gives > 12mb/sec under MacOS.  Runs great and I have
> used it to record movies at 30fps.  Not bad.  However, under linux a hdparm
> -t /dev/hda gives 1.96mb/s  If I do a hdparm -T /dev/hda (to measure cache
> performance) it gives 64mb/s.  The drive speed seems VERY slow using this
> simple benchmark.  I would expect much better.  There are parameters to
> adjust with hdparm, but I haven't messed with them.

Do `hdparm -u1 -m16 -p /dev/hda' and you should get around 10MB/s out
of it.

> The kernel probes the ID's correctly and establishes a sync connection to
> each except for the Exabyte tape drive.  Later when the kernel probes for
> partitions on the 40mb drive, it times out and eventually reboots.  I
> haven't recorded the information in the big MESH dump that is provided.  If
> somebody wants that, I will get it.
>
> I swapped the 40mb with a 250mb Quantum (pull from 7100).  This establishes
> a sync connection at 10mb/s and runs great.  I don't mind ditching the 40mb
> but I would like to understand the problem.  It seems that the MESH driver
> could still use some work OR, I need to recompile a kernel that does not do
> sync. transfers.  Perhaps I need to blacklist this 40mb drive.  Is there a
> no-sync blacklist?

Not as such.  There is a word in the driver with one bit per target
which says whether the driver can do sync connections with that
target.  You could edit the source and recompile to get a kernel where
the mesh driver won't do sync with that target.  A bit gross, I know.

Paul.