Test kernel for Newer Technology upgrade cards.

David DeHaven daved at trestle.com
Wed Jul 14 01:40:55 EST 1999

It took a while, but I think it may be done... maybe not bug free, but
it's done. If you have a Newer Technology G3 upgrade card, ftp to
206.53.121.114 (anonymous) and download the test kernel (only file in
/pub). It's the 2.2.6 kernel compiled with the default PowerMac options,
the only difference is the addition of code to detect which Newer
Technology card is installed. In theory, it should configure your L2
cache automatically.

Some simple instructions:

1> If you have the extension installed and are using BootX, disable the
extension for the extent of the test.

2> Turn off any options to set the L2 cache, such as the checkbox on
BootX and the L2CR=xxx kernel option.

3> Boot once to verify that the cache is _disabled_ using your normal
kernel. You can verify this by typing "cat /proc/sys/kernel/l2cr" at the
bash prompt, it should say "00000000: " followed by a textual
description, if not, then something is still enabling the cache.

4> Once the system is set up so that the cache is not enabled, install
the new kernal and reboot the system.

5> When the system boots, check to see if the cache was enabled using the
same method as in step 3.

6> Email me directly at daved at trestle.com with the following information:

Name and email address
Type of machine
Type of Newer Technology upgrade
Symptom (if it crashed)
A dump of /proc/sys/kernel/l2cr and /var/logs/dmesg

/var/logs/dmesg could contain some diagnostic info I left in there for
cases I haven't been able to test yet... which right now is everything
but the MAXPowr G3-G3 cards.

If you have any questions, you can email me directly.

-DrD-