BootX extension freezes MacOS

Albrecht Dreß ad at MPIfR-Bonn.MPG.de
Mon Jul 5 17:31:52 EST 1999

Hi!

	I run LinuxPPC R5 on my 7300/166, MacOS 8.1, BootX 1.1.1 with 2 scsi disks
which have partitions as follows:

Disk id #6: MacOS "root" (HFS), Linux root, Linux swap

Disk id #0: MacOS "data" (HFS+), Linux home (marked as HFS for mountx), Linux
usr

When I disable the BootX extension, everything works fine.  I can start Linux
from the BootX app, and if I enable mountx, I see my home partition on the MacOS
desktop (with mountx disabled, MacOS suggests to format the home partition).

With the BootX extension, I was able to boot Linux, but selecting MacOS, the
system freezes when building the desktop.  This happens with and without mountx
enabled.

Just as a test, I removed the disk #0 from the scsi chain --- and now everything
works fine with the extension!  Did I miss something important in the setup, or
is BootX somewhat broken if there is a HFS+ partition which is not the MacOS
"root"?

Thanks for your help, Albrecht.

| Dr.-Ing. Albrecht Dre\ss                                     ----           |
| Max-Planck-Institut f\"ur Radioastronomie   |\       /      /o  o\          |
| Abteilung f\"ur Infrarot-Interferometrie    |  \    /      |  /   |         |
| Auf dem H\"ugel 69                          |    \ |        \ ---/          |
| Phone (+49) 228 525 319                     |  /  /                         |
| Fax   (+49) 228 525 411                     |/   /                          |
| Mail  ad at mpifr-bonn.mpg.de                                                  |
+-------------- electrical engineers do it with less resistance --------------+