Linux/PPC hardware question.

Michel Lanners mlan at cpu.lu
Thu Jul 1 16:05:33 EST 1999

On  30 Jun, this message from Michael Pruett echoed through cyberspace:
> What SCSI cards are supported under Linux/PPC?  I wanted to use a UW
> SCSI card on my Power Mac 8500, but I can't find any information on
> which cards will work under Linux.  And I don't want to buy one unless
> I know it's supported.

Basically, any card supported by Linux/i386 should work, however:

- PCI address assignment might be a problem; I'm not sure OF assigns
adress regions for cards without OF code onboard. It might do that OK,
however.

- Any card lacking OF support on-board (i.e. all cards not sold
specifically for the Mac) will not permit booting off drives on these
boards, as OF will not have a driver for those.

- Any board that works under MacOS (including boot support) and that
has a Linux-supported chipset should be usable for booting.

Some boards I know people have working:

- Symbios 875? -based: Geert.Uytterhoeven at cs.kuleuven.ac.be
- a large number of Adaptec boards, through the AIC7xxx driver
- the boards Apple sold bundled with Macs (I think most, if not all,
are Sym875-based)

If anybody has more details or corrections, don't hold them back!

> I can't find the answer to this question anywhere (FAQs, Linux/PPC
> web sites, IRC, LDP, etc.)

Have you tried FAQ-O-Matic? That should have more detail. URL should be:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jonh/lppc/faq.pl

You might also want to try the Linux/PPC list archives somewhere on
lists.linuxppc.org.

Michel