pre-R5 deficiencies

Ira Joseph Woodhead ira at wrath.iatlas.com
Wed Jan 27 09:07:22 EST 1999

Hi all,

Perhaps I'm rehashing something but I couldn't find it searching the
archives, so:

What is the reasoning behind including a findutils in pre-R5 that has no
updatedb binary?? It even has scripts that use updatedb (cron jobs) but
no updatedb binary. Furthermore, 'rpm -qlp *.rpm' reveals that it is not
included in any package.

After quite a lot of effort installing pre-R5 a couple of weeks ago I
reverted back to my creaky barely-R4 from ages ago because I was so
shocked that the most useful tool for feeling your way in a new
installation was simply not there. It gives the impression of a very
not-ready product, which is counter to the impression I get from you
folks.

I just checked back today after a couple of weeks to find a few packages
updated on 15 Jan, but not findutils.

Just curious!

Cheers,
ira