Linux and Mac together (Was: Re: mac-on-linux project status)

David A. Gatwood marsmail at globegate.utm.edu
Tue Jan 26 02:47:34 EST 1999

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Ken Roberts wrote:

> >> Maybe I am just not understanding this but if both MkLinux and OS X run on
> >> top of the Mach microkernel, could they both be running simultaneously? If
> >
> >In principle, yes,  Mach is capable of running multiple server operating
> >systems at the same time.  I have no idea what's involved in making this
> >happen, but supposedly one of the advantges of a microkernel-based Linux
>
> this was explained to the mklinux list quite some time back.  i believe
> this will not work because mklinux and osx use different versions of the
> mach kernel.
>
> from what i remember, mklinux uses a more recent kernel than the
> official apple stuff.  the interfaces are different enough so that the
> two worlds are incompatible.

MkLinux uses a more modern Mach than OS X server, yes.  It uses a very
similar kernel to what OS X final is expected to use, though.  I like to
think there are always possibilities.  I won't be certain whether there's
any porting potential or not until OS X is released, though.

Later,
David

David A. Gatwood                         Visit globegate's internet
dgatwood at globegate.utm.edu                  talker, Deep Space 36
http://globegate.utm.edu                telnet globegate.utm.edu:9624