kswapd and SMP still broke on 2.2.0-pre9

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at drgw.net
Mon Jan 25 08:30:14 EST 1999

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Ryan Nielsen wrote:

> Paul Mackerras wrote:
> >
> > Troy Benjegerdes <hozer at drgw.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Can anyone verify 2.2.0-pre9 works on a SMP Pmac? (or for that matter,
> > > vger.. if vger works I can figure out what changed)
> >
> > Both 2.2.0-pre9 and vger work fine on my 2-processor powermac.  I do
> > have some local changes in my tree to do with some extra memory
> > barriers etc., but I haven't changed kswapd.  You could try rsyncing
> > my current tree from samba.anu.edu.au::linux-pmac-devel to see my
> > changes.
>
> do you use scsi on your 2-processor powermac?
> with the rsync'd tree it stops somewhere after printing the last line of this type:
> Detected scsi disk sd%d at scsi%d, channel %d, id %d, lun %d
> all the disks are on the MESH.

I haven't tried the rsync'd tree yet, my machine was crashing in the same
SCSI initialization. I have an on-board ncr53c8xx fast-wide chip, so this
leads me to believe there is some interaction between the memory
management code and the SCSI init code.

Is this something we should bring up on the regular linux-kernel list?
Maybe someone there would have an idea what is broken.

I don't know if this is related, but I also get crashes when doing nfs
access (checking out files from my local CVS archive, in particular).
I traced it one time and it appears a pointer is getting trashed in
rpciod.