Linux and Mac together (Was: Re: mac-on-linux project status)

Robin Colgrove robin at louis.bidmc.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 25 06:28:22 EST 1999

Samuel Rydh wrote:

> Mac-on-linux project status, Jan 23, 1999
> =================================
>
> 1. Overview
>
> The goal of the mac-on-linux project is making linuxppc capable of
> booting a second operating system. The target is in particular
> to run MacOS, but also Be OS, Mac OS X Server and a "second linux".

This is slightly tangential but I was hoping that OS-mavens can clear this up for
me.

As someone who runs a mac OS internet server as part of my research
collaborations (but am employed as a medical doctor, not as a programmer), I have
been playing around with linux and following the news of OS X server with the
idea of moving my internet things (smtp, http, ftp, nntp, telnet, chat, etc.)
onto a "real" server OS.

Maybe I am just not understanding this but if both MkLinux and OS X run on top of
the Mach microkernel, could they both be running simultaneously? If so, I could
imagine using OS X (not OS X server) as my desktop OS while on the same machine
MkLinux was taking care of the internet server things in the background. I do not
need super high performance stuff since I only "host" a few dozen pretty
low-intensity users.  Right now I get by on shareware tools (Quid Pro Quo, Rumor
Mill, OTChat, NCSATelnet, Eudora Internet Mail Server) but I am reaching the
limits of what I can do with these.

Thanks

robin colgrove

http://louis.bidmc.harvard.edu/labpage.html  (lab)