Choosing an Ethernet controller...

Benjamin Herrenschmidt bh40 at calva.net
Tue Jan 19 06:26:00 EST 1999

I know this is a little bit out-of-topic, but I'm sure someone on this
list can answer and I didn't really know how to actually ask this...

For an embedded developement, I have to choose among 3 different PCI
ethernet controllers. A DEC/Intel 21143 (Tulip), an AMD79C971 (PCNet32)
or a SMC83C171 (Epic100).

The processor will not be a PPC but a StrongARM. (we proposed a PPC, but
the client wanted a StrongARM).
All three seems to be supported by Linux, I will use a 2.0.x kernel at
first, on a StrongARM, but we plan to move to 2.2 once it's stable enough.

Are there any known problems with one of those chips ? Is someone aware
of any specific problem with one of those beasts or it's linux driver ?

Which one would you choose ?

Thanks !

--
           E-Mail: <mailto:bh40 at calva.net>