Porting to Nubus PowerMacs

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Fri Jan 15 09:37:22 EST 1999

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Alexander Gustav Deucher wrote:

> While we are on the subject of porting, How hard would it be to
> get linux ppc to boot on machines with NT firmware?  Does
> anyone know why this firmware is so problematic? Is there
> anywhere one could find documentation on it, etc.

This firmware might even try to boot the image in little endian mode,
handling the setting of the processor is rather simple, but resetting the
host bridge to big endian operation might be very complex and HW
dependant.

Could you try the zImage and the preploader on my ftp site:

	ftp://vcorr1.iram.es/pub/zImage-2.2.0-pre5
	ftp://vcorr1.iram.es/pub/preploader.tgz

(preploader is an experimental early boot code which will take your
/usr/src/vmlinux and build a zImage ready to boot from 0x41 partition). It
could be hacked to spit out a lot of info about what the state of the
machine is when the loaded image gets control.

	Gabriel.