Porting to NuBus PowerMacs

Jules Bean jmlb2 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 15 05:15:40 EST 1999

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, David A. Gatwood wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
>
> > I'm investigating the possibilities to support 5200/6200 (and its
> > little brother 5300/6300) just because this machine is:
> >
> > a) not supported by either MkLinux or LinuxPPC
> > b) I have one (in fact my fiancee has it).
> >
> > There are several custom chips inside (like on any other Mac).
> > First the big problem is that 6200 is a PowerPC inside a 68040
> > machine. It uses a "CAPELLA" custom chip as a bus translation
> > unit. This may be a problem since I don't think it is used in any
> > supported PowerMac.

I've got a 5200, which I am keen to get Linux running on at some point.
The amount of time I can put aside is rather variable, but I do have some
limited kernel hacking experience from my NetBSD/m68k days..

Willing to help, in short,

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules at jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd	       |
|  Jules aka     | jules at debian.org              |  Richmond, Surrey   |