MBX860: How to boot with initrd ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 12 08:38:08 EST 1999

In message <19990111114251.006245 at smtp.calvacom.fr> you write:

> >You mean ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/gary/redhat/RPMS/ppc/egcs*-1.1*ppc.rpm ?
> >
> >They don't work for me - same result: no problems during compilation,
> >but the kernel hangs.
> >
> >So far the only reliably working version of EGCS for me is the one in
> >linuxppc-R4 :-(
>
> Almost all the kernels I compile are with this version of egcs without
> any problem... They work just fine. Maybe egcs breaks something specific
> to your machine ? Are you using PReP or PowerMac ?

I've run some verification tests with  above  packages  and  my  home
built  cross  compiler  based  on egcs-1.1.1: the plain MBX860 kernel
boots fine, but it hangs as soon as I  try  to  use  initrd  as  root
device.

So better be careful when you use these new compilers :-(

Wolfgang

Phone:  (+49)-89-95720-110   Fax: (+49)-89-95720-112   wd at denx.muc.de
Office: (+49)-89-722-27328               Wolfgang.Denk at ICN.Siemens.DE
Quote from the Boss... "I didn't say it was your fault.  I said I was
going to blame it on you."