Linux-2.2.0-pre5 SMP broken on PReP?

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at drgw.net
Tue Jan 12 03:54:29 EST 1999

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Ryan Nielsen wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 07, 1999 at 12:55:22 -0600, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> >
> > After working with 2.1.132 for awhile, I decided it was time to try
> > Linus's 2.2.0-pre5, however I haven't been able to successfully boot with
> > it. I have tweaked code and tried various revisions includeing pre1 and
> > pre4 (pre1 wouldn't compile).
> >
> > I have been getting crashes in the ncr53c8xx driver, but the dump doesn't
> > seem to be providing valid information.
>
> it is crashing in kswapd, not the ncr driver.

I suppose I meant 'while starting the ncr driver'. At the time I wasn't
convinced the dump was valid.

Do you (or anyone else) have idea why this patch makes things work again?
Is anyone running pre6 on an SMP box? There are very few SMP-only
references in this patch. Is there something in arch/ppc/mm that needs
updating?