Strange tar hang....

Joel Klecker jk at espy.org
Mon Jan 11 15:05:22 EST 1999

At 18:14 +0100 1999-01-10, Michel Lanners wrote:
>Anybody can help with this?
>
>For many kernel versions now, I have problems with tar. On extraction
>of any archive, tar will regularly 'hang', and only continue extraction
>after a few seconds of doing nothing.
>Could this be a problem in the networking code of the kernel?

tar tries to look up UIDs and GIDs in the tar file and match them to
local users. With the default /etc/nsswitch.conf, it will end up
trying NIS and other services.
You probably want something like:
<<
passwd:         db files
group:          db files
shadow:         db files

hosts:          files dns
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       db files

Try `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for more info on NSS.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                     <URL:http://web.espy.org/>
<URL:mailto:jk at espy.org>                  <URL:mailto:espy at debian.org>