PPP PCI client ??

Vinai Roopchansingh vroopcha at post.its.mcw.edu
Thu Jan 7 11:22:31 EST 1999

Users and Guru's,

I have a "wish" for Linux and I am willing to undertake the investment
of time and resources to _TRY_ to get this to work, if it isn't already
happening ..

As my subject says, I was wondering if anyone out there has hacked out
a Linux PPP client that would use the new PCI modems that some makers
are producing.  I would like to get my modem "internal" on my 7500 and
getting this to work would be the only way.

I have a couple of questions that I would like answers to before I dive
into this ...  Has this been done already and is there a chipset for the
modems that are more "favoured" that others (I know that Rockwell is
pretty much the gold standard now for modem chipsets) ??

Is it possible, with the current implementation of PPP, to deal with the
hardware access just from the client end (from a program such as ezppp)
instead of diving into the kernal (providing the kernal already gives me
access to the PCI bridge) ??

TIA.

Vinai