scsi hangs [drow at cs.cmu.edu: Re: CD-writers] (fwd)

Paul Mackerras paulus at cs.anu.edu.au
Mon Jan 4 22:38:45 EST 1999

Brad Midgley <brad at pht.com> wrote:

> i have tried out the current vger kernel and i'd characterize it as "five
> times" as stable. meaning i can copy 125 megabytes from a jaz on the
> external bus to a drive on the internal bus before it crashes--with
> 2.1.130 i could only copy about 25 megabytes before it crashed. the error
> when it crashes is always:

Actually, I'm not sure that the vger version had the locking exactly
right before.  The version in vger is now the same as the version
currently in the official tree, and I am moderately confident it's OK.
If you can reproduce it with that version, I really will have to dig
deeper.

We will never get the sd.c patch into the official version because it
breaks SMP machines.  I know because that's what happened on my SMP
powermac. :-)

Paul.