scsi hangs [drow at cs.cmu.edu: Re: CD-writers] (fwd)

Daniel Jacobowitz drow at false.org
Sun Jan 3 12:14:32 EST 1999

On Sat, Jan 02, 1999 at 06:04:01PM -0500, satadru pramanik wrote:
> Please let me know!!! And if this _does- fix the problem, it should go to
> linus asap, before 2.2 gets finalized.  This certainly is a problem for
> me, and I can't imagine seeing a 2.2 final kernel that hangs on serious
> scsi activity. ( it crashes my web server every ten minutes.)
>

> On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Brad Midgley wrote:
>

> paul,
>
> what was the result of testing this patch? i see it isn't present at vger.
> but does it make scsi activity safer? does it need more testing? should i
> test it as-is?
>
> dan, have you figured out a setup to burn cd's without panics?

I am not at my machine for another week, but judging from what I have
heard - the patch does make it safer, is certainly a good idea to
apply, and yet still does not resolve the issue.  I need to find out
how it affects my machine - expect this as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, Satadru, I suggest you invest in an internal drive - or try
using all your devices on the same scsi controller, which I have heard
might help.

Dan

|       Daniel Jacobowitz        |__|     CMU, CS class of 2002      |
|   Debian GNU/Linux Developer    __   Part-Time Systems Programmer  |
|         dan at debian.org         |  |        drow at cs.cmu.edu         |