[ppc-dev] Re: Restructuring Efforts

David A. Gatwood marsmail at globegate.utm.edu
Thu Feb 18 10:44:31 EST 1999

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> I like the function pointers idea but I don't like indexing by machines
> each time the table is accessed. I beleive we should define a structure
> of function pointers for each subsystem (setup, mm, irq, ...) at have
> some boot logic fill the kernel static tables with pointers from the
> subsystem exported tables. The decision based on the architecure must be
> done only once.

Sounds a lot like a bunch of things in BSD-like kernels, where, in
MkLinux, for instance, interrupt_heathrow.c, interrupt_pdm.c, etc. each
have a static structure with pointers to their externally visible
functions, and the main function checks the hardware type and assigns a
global pointer to point to the static structure for the particular set of
routines.  Is that what you mean?

Later,
David

David A. Gatwood                         Visit globegate's internet
dgatwood at globegate.utm.edu                  talker, Deep Space 36
http://globegate.utm.edu                telnet globegate.utm.edu:9624