debugging pthreads on R5?

Mike Lockwood lockwood at pixo.com
Tue Feb 16 11:52:33 EST 1999

Hi all,

I am trying to debug a multithreaded program on LinuxPPC preR5 (the Feb
7 RPMS with the 2.2.0pre2 kernel).  As soon as my program calls
pthread_create, gdb reports "Program received signal ?, Unknown
signal".  This is with gdb 4.17.0.6-1.  gdb 4.17 should be able to
handle threads - atleast it does on Intel.  My glibc is 2.0.112.1.  I
was able to reproduce this with a trivial program that does absolutely
nothing but call pthread_create.

On Intel, pthreads library uses SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2 internally.  My
guess is that on PowerPC some other signals are being used, but gdb does
not know about this.  Is this correct?  Is this a known problem
(hopefully with a known fix?)  I was hoping that pthreads would be
working in R5 but it looks like there is a little bit of work left to
do...

TIA,
Mike

--
Mike Lockwood
lockwood at pixo.com

You learn something new every day.
Today I learned that gerbils love tea bags.