matroxfb, anybody? (More details...)

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at geert.cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Mon Feb 1 01:24:20 EST 1999

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> In lists.linuxppc.dev you write:
>
> >I apologize for the length, but I don't want to leave anything
> >out that might be critical....
>
> >Let me open with two quick questions.  A while back on linux-kernel
> >someone said that they had ported X_SVGA with Matrox acceleration
> >to FB, and Geert asked the guy for a copy of the patch.
>
> Thats me.  The patch is available from
> 	http://www.in-berlin.de/User/kraxel/xfree86/
>
> >What are the odds that I could get a hold of that, and that it would
> >compile and possibly run under PPC?  Slim to none I bet, but
> >it would be nice...
>
> As far I know, Geert got it to compile on ppc, but it's not working yet.

It crashes with a bus error. That is, the unaccelerated version. I don't have a
Matrox, and I had to disable the ATI code because it contains inline ia32
assembler.

I think the bus error is related to trying to map the frame buffer using
/dev/mem instead of /dev/fb0. I know that shouldn't give a bus error, but I saw
a similar thing with my (still experimental) program to get some useful video
out of my S3 Vision968. Last time I tried, it crashed with a bus error when
writing to the VRAM. Unfortunately I can't be 100% sure yet that it's a bug in
recent kernels, since I had to recompile that test program after I migrated to
Debian, which uses glibc-2.1pre.

Greetings,

						Geert

Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven at cs.kuleuven.ac.be